When you are good at reading body language you have an advantage in the dating game. It can be hard to tell if someone is interested in you, and you can end up wasting a lot of time trying to figure it out. But when you are proficient in reading body language you end up wasting less time on people who are just playing with you and spending more time on people who actually have a genuine interest in you.
Everyone tends to carry themselves and move in different ways according to their self-confidence and natural movements, but there are a few things that everyone has in common when it comes to body language and attraction. Keeping your eyes open for these common traits are your key to understanding who is really attracted to you and who is not.
Reading The Eyes
Studies have shown that even when a stranger looks at another stranger in the eyes for a couple of minutes, that feelings of attraction can instantly be created between them. That just goes to show that eye contact is a very powerful way of showing interest and creating attraction.
There is a lot of information you can get by reading someone’s eyes. Eye contact is a part of human nature that, and even when trying to hide something, everyone used their eye contact in pretty much the same way.
For instance, if someone gives you very little eye contact and spends more time darting their eyes around the room, then that indicates that they are bored with you, or they are not interested in you. It could also indicate nervousness, but usually a nervous behavior is accompanied by other nervous gestures like stuttering and fiddling with their hands.
Alternatively, if someone you are on a date with gives you direct eye contact without breaking it then they are very attracted towards you. They may break eye contact occasionally, but maintain the eye contact for the majority of the date.
If you are not on a date with someone, and they are giving you direct eye contact, then this could indicate that they are annoyed with you rather than interested in you. In that case, you need to watch how their mouth moves. A smile indicates attraction and a frown indicates annoyance or disapproval.
When someone looks at you from the corner of their eyes, whether you are on a date with them, or not, then they are most likely flirting with you. They may be trying to get you to notice them, or they may be playing shy with you, either way this is a positive sign of attraction.
Two other considerations about eye contact are:
1. Someone looking to the right and downwards indicates that they are thinking about their senses like feeling and touching, which usually indicates they are picturing this interaction with you. That is a huge sign of attraction!
2. Looking to the left and downwards indicates that they are having a conversation with themselves and figuring out how they feel about you or something you were talking about.
When it comes to eye contact and attraction, the biggest thing to remember is that a lot of eye contact is usually a good thing , especially if accompanied by a smile
Body Positioning and Attraction
The way a person positions themselves around you can tell you a lot about how they feel towards you. Taking body language and eye contact both into account when reading body language can really give you a clearer message of what they are trying (or not trying) to say.
For example, if someone moves away from you when you get close to them, then they are putting distance themselves between you and them, and they are either not comfortable around you or do not like you; whereas someone who moves closer towards you, or turns their body towards you, is showing interest in you or comfort with you.
When you are in a conversation with someone who likes you, they will naturally turn their body towards you and have an open demeanour. Their arms will be uncrossed, and they will naturally lean in towards you a bit.
Reading Body Language – Other Considerations
Other than eye contact and the way someone positions their body, there are many other body language clues that tell you what they think about you and what message they are trying to tell you.
Following are a few things to watch for:
– Folded arms while in conversation show non-interest or annoyance.
– For a woman – touching her hair and face is a way to flirt without someone else. In fact, if a woman touches any part of her body while talking to someone she is interested in then this shows attraction.
– Awkward movements signify that someone is uncomfortable around you or attempting to hold themselves in a position that appeals to you.
– If someone reaches out to touch you while talking then they are showing you that they are comfortable with you and interested in you. Alternatively, if they back away from your touch then you be assured that they are not comfortable with you and probably not attracted to you.
– If they straighten up when you enter the room then that means they are trying to position themselves attractively for you.
– Licking of the lips, or touching the lips, signifies that they are thinking about you in an intimate way.
In the end, reading body language can quickly give you an honest answer as to whether someone is attracted to you or not. It is an important skill to have if you want to know the truth about how someone feelings about you. And as a bonus, paying attention to these tips that show interest can allow you to show interest back without being rejected and recognizing non-interest can allow you to move on without being rejected first.